- The zenith of Czech symphonic music of the 20th century. Suk's autobiographical Ripening (1912-1917) and Janáček's Taras Bulba (1915-1918), a musical drama based on the novel by N. V. Gogol.
- Václav Talich: "I love Janáček. Just as I love Josef Suk. They have penetrated the abysmal depths where the human soul is tossed about as no other of our creative musicians has."
- Talich was closely connected not only to both composers, but also to both works. He conducted the world premiere of Ripening (October 30, 1918) and the Prague premiere of Taras Bulba(November 9, 1924).
- Leoš Janáček to Talich after the Prague performance of Taras Bulba: "You have brought me great joy with your exemplary interpretation of Taras Bulba.î
- Josef Suk toVáclav Talich: "You, my dear friend, are the first who understood what I wanted and let my pieces resound with an unsuspected, even miraculous effect."
Talich's stirring interpretation of Taras Bulba and The Ripening